Do you recall the scene from Friends when Rachel dates a guy with a bad temper (played by Ben Stiller, I think)? This guy seems perfect but, at the slighest provocation, loses his temper and goes absolutely ballistic? This sums up yet another Doha date.
I accepted a date with a man who I found to be very intelligent, outgoing and, best of all, genuinely single (reference: previous posts about married men in Doha). Anyway, we met at a group event and had a nice time talking. We attended two other group events before deciding to go out on our own. We opted for a casual lunch in West Bay and things went well. The next weekend he invited me out again. Our plan was to drive to one of the forts in the desert and then come back to Doha for an early dinner. Before heading to the desert, he needed to stop at a friend's apartment building to pick up an ice chest that he had lended. So we pull up to the building and he calls his friend to let her know that we are waiting downstairs. While we are waiting, a couple of cars come up behind us and honk to indicate that our car is in their way. As it turns out, we are parked in the only lane that gives tenants access to their underground parking garage. Rather than move, my date waves them around and begins to curse under his breath as more cars approach and honk. After 10 minutes, we are still waiting for the friend to come down with the ice chest and, by now, our poor choice of parking has caught the attention of a building security guard. So the guard comes over and asks us to drive to the end of the lane, indicating that we can park in the fire truck zone (don't ask...this is an entirely different problem about living in Doha). Sure. No problem, I think. The new parking spot is less than 30 feet from where we're currently parked and the friend will clearly see the car when she exits the front door. But what happens next shocked the hell out of me. My date goes absolutely ballistic! He screams at the guard, insulting him with racial remarks, a slew of expletives, and a threat of physical violence! I'll spare the gory details of all that he said, but the basic theme was that we would wait "wherever the f*#$ we want" and the guard couldn't do anything about it because he had no real authority and, if he tried, he would get the $h*# kicked out of him. Charming, right?!? So, in addition to a short fuse, my date demonstrated that he is a racist jerk with a foul mouth and a willingness to engage in physical violence. I couldn't pretend to understand or to act normally after that blow up. I told the guy that I was bothered by his outburst, hoping to hear a reasonable explanation. Nope. He spent five more minutes defending his "right" to park in the only lane leading to the parking garage. Even when his friend came out, he still carried on, telling her she should report the guard to building management because he felt harassed. wth?!?!?!?
In the end, I got out of the car and walked to the Intercon to catch a taxi home.
This bad date was topped off when a mutual acquaintance texted me and told me that Mr. Racist Jerk was telling others that I am a b*t@h and trying to salvage his pride by telling them that he only took me out because he wanted to see if I was willing to put out.
Oh, what a lovely ending. "Dear Diary, Today I met my Prince Charming..."
I accepted a date with a man who I found to be very intelligent, outgoing and, best of all, genuinely single (reference: previous posts about married men in Doha). Anyway, we met at a group event and had a nice time talking. We attended two other group events before deciding to go out on our own. We opted for a casual lunch in West Bay and things went well. The next weekend he invited me out again. Our plan was to drive to one of the forts in the desert and then come back to Doha for an early dinner. Before heading to the desert, he needed to stop at a friend's apartment building to pick up an ice chest that he had lended. So we pull up to the building and he calls his friend to let her know that we are waiting downstairs. While we are waiting, a couple of cars come up behind us and honk to indicate that our car is in their way. As it turns out, we are parked in the only lane that gives tenants access to their underground parking garage. Rather than move, my date waves them around and begins to curse under his breath as more cars approach and honk. After 10 minutes, we are still waiting for the friend to come down with the ice chest and, by now, our poor choice of parking has caught the attention of a building security guard. So the guard comes over and asks us to drive to the end of the lane, indicating that we can park in the fire truck zone (don't ask...this is an entirely different problem about living in Doha). Sure. No problem, I think. The new parking spot is less than 30 feet from where we're currently parked and the friend will clearly see the car when she exits the front door. But what happens next shocked the hell out of me. My date goes absolutely ballistic! He screams at the guard, insulting him with racial remarks, a slew of expletives, and a threat of physical violence! I'll spare the gory details of all that he said, but the basic theme was that we would wait "wherever the f*#$ we want" and the guard couldn't do anything about it because he had no real authority and, if he tried, he would get the $h*# kicked out of him. Charming, right?!? So, in addition to a short fuse, my date demonstrated that he is a racist jerk with a foul mouth and a willingness to engage in physical violence. I couldn't pretend to understand or to act normally after that blow up. I told the guy that I was bothered by his outburst, hoping to hear a reasonable explanation. Nope. He spent five more minutes defending his "right" to park in the only lane leading to the parking garage. Even when his friend came out, he still carried on, telling her she should report the guard to building management because he felt harassed. wth?!?!?!?
In the end, I got out of the car and walked to the Intercon to catch a taxi home.
This bad date was topped off when a mutual acquaintance texted me and told me that Mr. Racist Jerk was telling others that I am a b*t@h and trying to salvage his pride by telling them that he only took me out because he wanted to see if I was willing to put out.
Oh, what a lovely ending. "Dear Diary, Today I met my Prince Charming..."
No comments:
Post a Comment